A sometimes serious, sometimes tongue-in-cheek look at work, life, dieting, losing weight, getting in shape, getting bent out of shape and getting over it with a dose of humor.

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Day 2

Yesterday when I went to Whole Foods to get some tiramisu I also picked up a couple of Fontera pizzas that were on sale. Incidentally, while I am balancing my diet maybe I should also try balancing my checkbook. Last night I walked out with 2 frozen pizzas, a carton of milk and a single slice of tiramisu for $27, and that was with the pizzas being on sale. At least it wasn't like the time I bought 2 lamb chops, a small onion and a candle and they handed me a bill for $50. Now that was a surprise.

This morning I woke up and thought, "mmm.. pizza." Now that I am officially on a "diet vacation" where I can eat anything I want it's actually kind of fun to do the exact opposite and not eat anything I want. I have a good feeling about this. (And a bad feeling about myself. What does it say about me if I am constantly rebelling even against myself?)

I sat for a while with a small pen and paper. Since starting the program, actually, since starting dieting at 100-something lbs some 6-7 years ago, I think this is the first time I have thought about food with any kind of pleasure. It's fun the way planning workouts for the week is fun. There are a lot of things I want to do and I know I can't do them all this week and I should get at least two days of strength training and some cardio in no matter what so figuring out what I am actually going to do is a bit like solving a very interesting puzzle. If all I had to do were power drills that I hated - kind of like the protein shakes - then it would take the fun right out of it.

I can't believe how easy it was to draw up a plan involving egg whites and bran flakes, spinach, tomatoes & chickpeas and lean turkey and lettuce with one slice of pizza thrown in to keep things interesting. Planning the 20/20 meals, even during the honeymoon phase of the first few weeks, was never fun.

But then, food hasn't been fun in a really long time. Sure, I believe we should eat to live and not the other way around but life is too short to not take pleasure in the things you do. Ironically, this used to be my philosophy. Up until a few years ago. Somewhere over the last few years as I got busy trying to adapt my carefree spirit to a staid world and mimic the grown up sophistication that I felt I should aspire to I lost a lot of what used to make me, me. I don't care for rules and truth is, I have never really cared much for manicures either.

In the end, I did not exactly follow the menu I had drawn up this morning but it turned out okay.

Day 2:

8 am - 1/4 c scrambled liquid egg whites, 2 slices canadian bacon, 1/4 c blueberries, 1/4 c all bran, 4 oz skim milk

1 pm - 1 c steamed broccoli, 5 KFC hot wings

4 pm - 2 oz tiramisu + 1/2 cup skim milk (4 oz)

7 pm - turkey-lettuce salad, small apple or pear (planned)

Since I already had wings today I am keeping the pizza for tomorrow. I don't feel the pressure to have it so I can finish it and get back on a diet because there's no diet to get back to. Oh, and when I stepped on the scale this morning, it read 170.5 lbs. I know it's too early to tell if this is working but considering I have been at 171 lbs for weeks now I would say that's not a bad sign. Worst case scenario, I will find out that it isn't my new way of eating so much as changing up the routine that is working but at least, I will be smarter than I was before.

Morning weight: 170.5

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home